A bloody joke...
Life can be cruel sometimes. It can play tricks on you when u least expect it. Even if the trick is ridiculous to the point of hilarity, life has a nasty way of slapping you with some weird situation you don't quite know how to respond to.
Yesternight, i was whacked with one such dilemma. I received a call from some random dude i bearly knew. Now, we've only been out on a few one-on-ones, only had a few meals together, only watched a few movies together and only usually talk on the phone a few times a day. Some random dude. Anyway, he was going away on some sort of army thing-a-ling (top secret, i'd like to say, but the truth is i just wasnt listening when he told me what it was) for 2 weeks. A few minutes before departure, he rings me on my cell (No doubt instigated by his, and i say this in a most affectionate way, damn army mates).
"Blah blah blah, blah blah blah, Alicia, blah blah blah" He says. "Uh huh, uh huh" I say, trying desperately to sound interested while actually fretting over my broken fingernail (Damn it, im most displeased! I don't know how long it'd take to grow back..my manicurist told me good luck. im not pleased.) "Well, im going to go right out and say it", says he. "Uh huh?" i reply. "As u know im going away for 2 wks and there's smthg iv been wanting to ask u but i only jus mustered up the courage" "Uh huh" "Will u be my girlfriend?" I almost snap off the offending fingernail at this point. *crackle crackle* Bloody static. Where the hell was he calling from anyway? "Hello? Hello? Crackle crackle. Alicia?" "Uh huh? Crackle crackle" "So? Crackle crackle" Damn static. Urgh.."are u serious? crackle crackle crackle." "Crackle crackle..eess..crackle crackle" So as usual, me the idiot, i go "Sure! Why not? Crackle crackle crackle...Dooo..dooo..doooo..." The bloody phone goes dead. Im screwed. Call back! Call back! He didnt hear the end! "In your dreams!" Nooo...
The cell vibrates like a mass of little squirming squid. "Helloo!" i shout excitedly. "Heeeyy.." he starts. "Doo doo doo.." What the...! The squids squirm violently again. "Crap" he says "listen, the reception is..doo doo..." Giant gyrating mass commences again... "I.." i start. "Muak babe this is really great. gotta go, but promise to call u as soon as i can. Click." "I..." I stare dumbly at the cellphone. "Bbbut..i..i...erm..." Im confused. Did i just become attached? Like, erm, how? Me and my big mouth. Im never gonna joke about these kinda things again!
Im just hoping my fingernail will grow out nicely before i next see him.